When visiting my dad in Florida about a month ago, I realized how annoyed I was getting with applying foundation. I mean… did I really need it? It was taking up precious time out of my day and it didn’t really even look that great.
Within a few hours it ALWAYS cakes up around my smile lines, my nose, and increases the creasing around my eyes.
It always feels heavy… because it’s a lot to layer on. You could always tell I had makeup on… because I did.
Once I got a little sun on my face, I decided to kick the foundation for a while. After a few weeks I noticed that I did not miss foundation… at all. I didn’t even think about it anymore.
My skin changed drastically. Like, it got really fucking happy. My weird breakouts that I have been struggling with for years started to chill out. I mean, I have been applying a better skin care routine but my skin changed so drastically once I nixed the foundation that it couldn’t have just been a coincidence.
Drinking water, good skincare, and refraining from touching my face have make this foundation-free experience even better.
After getting used to my Ole Henriksen routine, I decided to incorporate some cheaper natural products and it is working out pretty fabulously. (More to come on those products)
If your skin is looking tired, dull, and bumpy… try to kick the foundation for a few weeks. It may take a little while for you to feel comfortable but the longer you go with out it, the better your skin will look. I may still wear a light foundation to a special event or something but I’m not sure if I will ever incorporate it into my daily routine again.
*Shout out to How to Be Parisian Wherever You Are for encouraging me to go more natural: Pg. 36 On Skin-
“Skin should look natural. Freckles can appear in spring along with the first rays of sunshine. Sometimes your cheekbones blush when you lie and your whole face flushes when you are intimidated. You must not stifle the stories behind the natural coloring of your skin. For this reason it much be shown, revealed, exposed. How: French women avoid using foundation, which merely serves as a shroud and therefore trivializes.”
Seriously… read this book.
*Also, the beautiful You Tuber JkissaMakeup, showed me that not wearing foundation can look amazing. Check her channel out, here.
Check out my foundation-less face. I did NOT smooth out my skin, just good lighting and better makeup choices.
I thought I would try out the new Ipsy Special Offer that I happened to get my hands on: the Blushing Bride Wedding Day Essentials Kit by Tarte Cosmetics. It was SO worth it. I absolutely loved everything that came with it. My all time favorite Tarte product is the stick cream blush, it also smells sooooo good.
Here is what is on my face… in small moderation:
The order of it all:
- After cleansing and toning, I sprayed the aloe, herbs, and rose water Mario Badescu Facial Spray followed by your eye cream of choice. I used the Nourish Organic avocado and argan oil renewing eye cream.
- Then I cancelled out redness, blemishes, and dark circles with my NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer in Vanilla and buffed it out with my ELF Concealer Brush.
- I then applied a small highlight with my other NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer in Chantilly with a damp Real Techniques Sponge.
- Next I applied a small contour with the second to last shade in the NYX Highlight & Contour Palette with my ELF Angled Blush Brush and set my concealed areas with the second shade with my ELF Small Tapered Brush.
- I slapped on my eyebrows with my Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Definer in Taupe (still getting used to it) and applied the Tarte Lights, Camera, Splashes mascara.
- My favorite part is applying a touch of the Tarte Blushing Bride Cheek Stain straight from the stick and then blended out with fingers.
- Last but not least I tried out the Tarte Blushing Bride LipSurgence Power Pigment followed by the Tarte Blushing Bride LipSurgence Lip Gloss.
- My hair… well… I just woke up and that’s what it looked like.